1. A bosom friend afar brings a distant land near. 海内存知己，天涯若比邻。
2. A common danger causes common action. 同舟共济。
3. A contented mind is a continual / perpetual feast. 知足常乐。
4. A fall into the pit, a gain in your wit. 吃一堑，长一智。
5. A guest should suit the convenience of the host. 客随主便。
6. A letter from home is a priceless treasure. 家书抵万金。
7. All rivers run into the sea. 殊途同归。
8. All time is no time when it is past. 机不可失，时不再来。
9. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. 一日一个苹果，身体健康不求医。
10. As heroes think, so thought Bruce. 英雄所见略同。
11. A young idler, an old beggar. 少壮不努力，老大徒伤悲。
12. Behind the mountains there are people to be found. 天外有天，山外有山。
13. Bad luck often brings good luck. 塞翁失马，安知非福。
14. Bread is the stall of life. 面包是生命的支柱。(民以食为天。)
15. Business is business. 公事公办。
16. Clumsy birds have to start flying early. 笨鸟先飞。
17. Courtesy costs nothing. 礼多人不怪。
18. Custom makes all things easy. 习惯成自然。
19. Desire has no rest. 人的欲望无止境。
20. Difficult the first time, easy the second. 一回生，二回熟。
21. Do not change horses in mid-stream. 别在河流中间换马。
22. Do not have too many irons in the fire. 贪多嚼不烂。
23. Do not pull all your eggs in one basket. 别把所有的蛋都放在一个篮子里。(不要孤注一掷。)
24. Do not teach fish to swim. 不要班门弄斧。
25. East or west, home is the best. 东奔西跑，还是家里好。
26. Experience is the best teacher. 实践出真知。
27. Fact is stranger than fiction. 事实比虚构更离奇。(大千世界，无奇不有。)
28. Faith can move mountains. 信念能移山。(精诚所至，金石为开。)
29. First impressions are half the battle. 先入为主。
30. Give as good as one gets. 一报还一报。(以德报德，以怨还怨。)
31. Give everyone his due. 一视同仁。
32. Good wine needs no bush. 酒香不怕巷子深。
33. Haste makes waste. 欲速则不达。(忙中常出错。)
34. He that promises too much means nothing. 轻诺者寡信。
35. He who has an art has everywhere a part. 一招鲜，吃遍天。
36. He would climb the ladder must begin at the bottom. 千里之行始于足下。
37. Home is where the heart is. 心在哪里，哪里就是家。
38. If you are not inside a house, you don not know about its leaking. 不在屋里，不知漏雨。(亲身经历才有体会。)
39. In peace prepare for war. 平时准备战时。(居安思危。)
40. It is never too late to mend. 亡羊补牢，犹未为晚。
41. It six of one and half a dozen of the other. 彼此彼此。
42. Just has long arms. 天网恢恢，疏而不漏。
43. Keep something for a rainy day. 未雨绸缪。
44. Life is a span. 人生如朝露。
45. Man proposes, God disposes. 谋事在人，成事在天。
46. Meet plot with plot. 将计就计。
47. Merry meet, merry part. 好聚好散。
48. Mind acts upon mind. 心有灵犀一点通。
49. Never hit a man when he is down. 不要落井下石。
50. Never judge by appearances. 切莫以貌取人。
51. No fire without smoke. 无风不起浪。
52. Nurture passes nature. 教养胜过天性。
53. One is never too old to learn. 活到老，学到老。
54. One swallow does not make a summer. 一燕不成夏。(一花独放不是春。)
55. One who has seen the ocean thinks nothing of mere rivers. 曾经沧海难为水。
56. Out of sight, out of mind. 眼不见，心不烦。
57. Practice makes perfect. 熟能生巧。
58. Poverty is stranger to industry. 勤劳之人不受穷。
59. Rome was not built in a day. 罗马不是一日建成的。(伟业非一日之功。)
60. Sense comes with age. 老马识途。
61. So many men, so many minds. 人心各不同。
62. Some thing is learned every time a book is opened. 开卷有益。
63. Strike while the iron is hot. 趁热打铁。
64. The car will find its way round the hill when it gets there. 车到山前必有路。
65. The heart is seen in wine. 酒后吐真言。
66. The older the wiser. 人老智多。(姜还是老的辣。)
67. The worse luck now, the better another time. 风水轮流转。
68. Thoughts are free from toll. 思想不用交税。(人人都可以自由思考。)
69. Time tries all things. 时间检验一切。
70. Use legs and have legs. 经常用腿，健步如飞。
71. Virtue never grows old. 美德常青。
72. Walls have ears. 隔墙有耳。
73. What is done cannot be undone. 覆水难收。
74. Wine in, truth out. 酒后吐真言。
75. You are only young once. 青春只有一次。
76. You cannot burn the candle at both ends. 蜡烛不可两头燃。(鱼和熊掌不可兼得。)
77. You cannot have your cake and eat it. 有得就有失。(事难两全其美。)
78. You never know till you have tried. 事非经过不知难。
79. Youth will be served. 青春好作乐。
80. Zeal without knowledge is a runaway horse. 无知的狂热是脱缰的野马。
例：1、主动：The children gave the foreign guests a warm welcome.
被动：The foreign guests were given a warm welcome by the children.
2、主动：People regard him as brilliant.
被动：He is regarded as brilliant by people.
以上两例都是一般时态用be done的例子，be有人称、时、数变，第三人称foreign friends是复数，时态一般过去时，所以"be done"就是were given，而People regard him as brilliant一句，被动后的"be done"就变成单数第三人称is regarded的形式了。
This speech was delivered by comrade Wang. (was delivered即一般过去时的被动态)
There was a serious train accident near the border. Two people were killed and twelve were injured.
A person who is truly honest is called a straight arrow. 直言不讳的人才是真正诚实的人。
A note was passed up to the speaker. 有人给讲演者递上来一张纸条。
John was elected president of the class instead of Harry. 乔治被选为班长而代替了亨利。
The information is urgently needed. 急需这个资料。
例：1、主动：We have studied English for 3 years off and on at the spare-time school.
被动：English has been studied for 3 by us years off and on at the spare-time school. (have随新主语变为has)
2、主动: They had produced 100 tractors by the end of last year.
被动: 100 tractors had been produced by the end of last year.
3、主动：They have set up a power station in their home town.
被动：A power station has been set up in their home town.
4、主动：They have warned us to be careful of rats.
被动：We have been warned to be careful of rats.
5、主动：People have piled plastic bags full of rubbish in streets.
被动: Plastic bags full of rubbish have been piled in streets.
6、主动：We have used nuclear energy to produce electricity.
被动：Nuclear energy has been used to produce electricity.
7、主动：No one has ever beaten him at tennis.
被动：He has never been beaten at tennis.
The subjects of these lectures have been announced by the lecture committee.
主动: Somebody had cleaned my shoes.
被动: My shoes had been cleaned by somebody.
被动句中的by引出的宾语，一般说来，如果是人称代词你、我、他等，均可省略，someone no one不由by来引出。如果是名词不能省略，但当今英语也都可省略了。
主动：The Chinese people will make more space explorations in the future.
被动：More space explorations will be made in the future by the Chinese people.
After a period of use, the batteries should be changed. 电池使用一段时间后，应该更换。
Usually, the electricity is on for 24 hours. But tomorrow it will be cut off in the day time. 通常是昼夜供电，明天白天将停电。
More peaceful uses will be found for nuclear explosives in the future. 在将来会发现更多的和平利用核爆炸的途径。
More hard work will be needed to make this wonder come true in a short time from now. 从现在起要使这些奇迹在短时间内成为现实还需要做更多的艰苦工作。
make..e true 使……成为事实; come true做宾补(见感使动词口诀)。
The machine will not be used again. 这机器不能再用了。
一、There be 句型陈述句比较特殊, 其附加疑问句的结构为there be的倒装，而不带句子主语。例如：
There is something wrong with the computer, isn"t there? 这台电脑有点毛病，是不是？
There aren"t any fish in the river, are there? 这条河里没有鱼, 是吗?
二、当陈述部分的主语是everyone,everybody, someone, nobody, no one,none, anyone, somebody等合成不定代词时, 在非正式文体中，附加疑问句中的主语通常用he或they。例如：
Someone opened the door, didn"t he/they? 有人开了门，是不是？
Nobody went to the cinema, did they? 没人去看电影，是吗？
三、当陈述部分的主语是everything, nothing, something, anything等合成词，附加疑问句中的主语用it。例如：
Nothing serious happened, did it? 什么事情也没有发生，对吗？
Everything is ready, isn"t it? 一切准备就绪了，不是吗？
四、当陈述部分的谓语动词是am的肯定形式时，附加疑问句的谓语动词用aren"t，而不用am not;当陈述部分的谓语动词为am not时，附加疑问句的谓语仍用am。例如：
I am five years younger than you, aren"t I? 我比你小五岁，不是吗？
I am not late, am I? 我没有迟到，对吗？
五、当陈述部分带有few, little, hardly, scarcely, rarely, seldom, never, nowhere, nothing, no one, nobody等表示否定或半否定意义的词时，附加疑问句的动词用肯定形式。例如：
The old man can hardly read, can he? 这位老人不识字，对吗？
Little food has been left, has it? 吃的东西几乎没剩下，是吗？
He has few good friends, has he? 他几乎没有要好的朋友，是不是？
The students were impolite, weren"t they? 那些学生没有礼貌，不是吗？
It"s illegal to drive a car without a license, isn"t it? 没有驾照开车是违章的，不是吗？
You got nothing from him, did you? 你从他那儿什么也没得到，是吗？
七、如果陈述句是主从复合句而主句的谓语是动词I(we) + think, believe, suppose, imagine, reckon, fancy等词时，附加部分应与从句中的谓语在时态上保持一致。例如：
I suppose you are not serious, are you? 我想你不是当真吧，是吗?（不可用don"t I?）
We think they have finished their homework, haven"t they? 我们认为他们已经完成了家庭作业，不是吗？
I believe that you will enjoy the party, won"t you? 我相信你会喜欢这次聚会的，不是吗？
八、当陈述部分是祈使句时，附加部分可以不与前面的祈使句的动词保持一致，而是根据不同的用意选用shall, will, can 等。例如：
Don"t make noise, will you? 不要吵闹，行吗？
Let"s help each other, will you/won"t you? 让我们互相帮助，好吗？
Let me do it for you, will you/won"t you? 让我来帮你做这件事，行吗？
Let us have a look at your new dictionary, will you/won"t you? 让我们看一看你的新词典，好吗？
〔注〕Let"s（包括说话者本人）开头的祈使句，附加部分常用shall we?或shan"t we? 表示征求意见。 Let us/me/him不包括听话人在内开头的祈使句，附加部分则要用will you?或won"t you?
Will they come to see us this weekend ? 这个周末他们将来看我们吗？
Are you talking about the film you saw last Monday ?
Can you speak another foreign language except English?
Where did you buy the dictionary, in the book store nearby or in Xinhua bookstore?
She is not a student, isn"t she ? 她不是个学生，对吗？
Isn"t it a beautiful garden ! 多么美丽的花园啊！
What a beautiful garden it is ! 多么美丽的花园啊！（在这种句式中，主语在谓语之前，属于自然语序。对于主语和谓语而言，语序没有倒装。）
Have you ever seen such a naughty kid like him !
1) 为了避免句子部分内容不必要的重复，常用"so + be动词（助动词、情态动词）+主语"或"neither / nor + be动词（助动词、情态动词）+主语"的倒装句式。其中第一个句式表示"与前面所述的肯定情况相同"， 第二个句式表示"与前面所述的否定情况相同"。例如：
His brother is a college student; so is mine.
His brother is not a college student; nor is mine .
He used to have his further study abroad; so did I.
He didn"t use to have his further study abroad; neither did I.
One of my friends can speak three foreign languages; so can his wife.
One of my friends cannot speak three foreign languages; neither can his wife .我的一个朋友不会说三门外国语，他的妻子也不会。
They are now preparing for their final examinations; so are we .
They are not now preparing for their final examinations; nor are we .
①This is the last thing that interests me.
②That is one of the rooms that are free now.
③He is the only one of the students who is interested in sports.
I didn"t like the way that he eyed me.
I didn"t like the way in which he eyed me.
I didn"t like the way he eyed me.
This is the place (where/that) we met yesterday.
I shall never forget the day (when/that) we first met.
The reason (why/that) he came so early is his own affair.
Do you know the right time (when/that) the meeting begins？
It rained all night and all day，during which time the ship broke in pieces.
I called him by the wrong name，for which mistake I should apologize.
The prince was the person in whose honor the ball was given.
例如：The day will come when the people all over the world will win liberation.
when引导的定语从句修饰the day，但是主句the day will come太短，如果把后面的定语从句放在the day后面，主语太长，给人头重脚轻的感觉。
Her sons，both of whom work abroad，ring her up every week.
An angry crowd surrounded the buses，most of which were already full.
I bought a dozen eggs，six of which broke down when I dropped the box.
That building，which cost $5 million to build，has been empty for years.
例如：The great trouble he took to show us how to run the machine made him completely tired out.
take great trouble to do something是一个固定词组，先行词the great trouble后面的定语从句为he took to show us how to run the machine，made为主句的谓语动词。
Dr.Smith still talks like the man (that) he was ten years ago.
My typewriter is not the machine (that) it was.
The 9：15 is the fastest train (that) there is to Oxford.
Kent is supposed to be a gifted footballer (that) there has ever been.
1.One is always on a strange road, watching strange scenery and listening to strange music. Then one day, you will find that the things you try hard to forget are already gone.
2.Happiness is not about being immortal nor having food or rights in one"s hand. It’s about having each tiny wish come true, or having something to eat when you are hungry or having someone"s love when you need love.
3.Love is a lamp, while friendship is the shadow. When the lamp is off,you will find the shadow everywhere. Friend is who can give you strength at last.
4.I love you not for who you are, but for who I am before you.
5.Love makes man grow up or sink down.
6.If you can hold something up and put it down, it is called weight-lifting; if you can hold something up but can never put it down,it"s called burden-bearing. Pitifully, most of people are bearing heavy burdens when they are in love.